Last November I was at a Service Canada office and picked up a pamphlet called Fuel Consumption Guide 2007. Although too old to be relevant (unless you're buying a used car), it contained some formulae for calculating fuel consumption which inspired me to write some code.
This library of functions is among the longest yet, so I won't be posting the code directly on the blog, but here's a list of the functions included:
- lph() - Calculate fuel consumption rating in litres per 100 kilometres.
- mpg() - Calculate fuel consumption rating in miles per gallon.
- lph2mpg() - Convert miles per (imperial) gallon to litres per 100 kilometres.
- mpg2lph() - Convert litres per 100 kilometres to miles per (imperial) gallon.
- fuelConsumption() - Calculate fuel consumption in litres.
- CO2emissions() - Calculate carbon dioxide emissions in kilograms.